The weather is still rather bleak outside, so I decided to throw together a delicious sausage casserole recipe to warm your canny bones!
The first attempt was good, but I honed the flavours in the second and this is the recipe I hope you enjoy as much as I did! By all means, feel free to add your own favourite herbs and spices to make the dish your own.
In the words of Captain Barbosa, this is more…more what you would call guidelines than actual rules. Happy cooking!
Hearty Sausage Casserole
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 Sausages
- 65 g Smoked bacon lardons
- 1 Celery stick
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Onion
- 19 cl Red wine merlot
- 300 ml Beef stock
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 3 sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Dried sage
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 Oxo cube
- Pinch Chilli flakes optional
- Brown off sausages and bacon in 2 tbs of oil and set aside.
- Fry onion, celery and carrot until soft but not coloured.
- Add red wine and reduce by half, simmering for 5 mins.
- Add herbs, mustard, oxo cube, beef stock, tinned tomatoes, sausages, bacon and thyme.
- Slow cook at 120C covered for 1 ½ hour, uncovered for 30 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with mash and veg.