So I can’t take the credit for this amazing recipe! I work with a chef who tipped me off on how to get the perfect crispy roasties.
The trick is to steam the potatoes and leave them on a rack for the steam to evaporate off. This blisters the outside of the potatoes and creates a skin that crisps up perfectly in the superheated goose fat.
Adding the garlic cloves and rosemary 10 minutes before taking the potatoes out infuses their fantastic flavours into the fat and gives the roasties an amazing subtle addition.
These are perfect for Sunday dinners and guaranteed to impress. Why not give them a try this Christmas and impress relatives with some of the best roasties they’re likely to have tried?
Garlic & Rosemary Roasties
- 220 g Goose fat
- 1.5 kg King Edward potatoes
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- Add the Goose fat to a tray and place in an oven at 250°C.
- Steam the peeled and halved potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Let the steam evaporate off the potatoes on a drying rack.
- Add the potatoes carefully to the hot fat and return to the oven.
- Cook at 250°C for 40-50 minutes. Ovens vary so keep a close eye of the roasties, turning every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, dry in kitchen roll and salt. Enjoy! 🙂