I’ve been trying for a while to get the perfect belly pork and crispy crackling recipe down.
Maybe you’ve tried too and ended up with with the same, inconsistent, half chewy, half rock-solid mess…Maybe that’s just me!
But if you want to know how to make perfect belly pork and crispy crackling EVERY TIME, then you’ve come to the right place.
Having merged what I’ve found from trying numerous recipes, I find these timing to be perfect for achieving that perfect golden crackling and succulent meat, that isn’t too overcooked.
One of the golden secrets to achieving the perfect crackling is drying the pork skin in the fridge for 2-3 days, then applying white wine vinegar and cooking in a sea salt shell. I know that sounds like a lot of trouble, but trust me, this pork comes out perfect time after time.
Crispy Belly Pork (Fail-proof)
- 1 kg Belly pork
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fine sea salt
- 50 ml White wine vinegar
- 250 g Coarse sea salt
- 1 Egg white
- Dry the skin and meat with kitchen roll. If skin isn't scored, run a stanley knife along the skin (as deep as the fat) around 10 times.
- Run 4-5 cuts along the meat side (Just the meat, not as deep as the skin/fat) then add a splash of vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the meat/lower half in tin foil, leaving the skin exposed.
- Add a light sprinkling of coarse sea salt to the skin and place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and pat dry the skin and remove and excess sea salt. Add a light sprinkling of fine sea salt and place in the fridge for another night (up to three nights total).
- Mix 200g of coarse sea salt, 1 egg white and a splash of white wine vinegar.
- Brush the skin of the pork with a splash of white wine vinegar and cover with the salt mix. Cook at 180°C (Fan) on the middle shelf for 60mins,
- Take out of oven, remove the salt crust and return to oven set to 220°C (Fan) for 30-40 minutes until crakling is golden and bubbled all over. Turn as needed.
- Place pork on wire rack and allow to air cool for 10 minutes which helps crackling crisp up nicely. Serve immediatly.